- 1 1/2 sticks softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup extra strong cup of French press Fresh Roasted Coffee
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brew your cup of coffee. Boil 12 oz. water. Add 2 scoops (4 tbsps.) coarse-ground dark roast Fresh Roasted Coffee of your choice—we used Dark Mexican Chiapas—to your French press. Saturate grounds with hot water, stir, replace plunger (BUT DON’T PLUNGE YET), and set aside.
- Mix softened butter and dark brown sugar in mixing bowl.
- Mash bananas until soft.
- Plunge that coffee you may have forgotten about.
- Add mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla to butter and sugar mixture. Mix until combined.
- Separately, sift and combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- It gets a little tricky here. Add half the flour mixture to the banana mixture and combine, and then add half the cooled coffee to the banana mixture and combine. Repeat as needed.
- Fold chocolate chunks and cinnamon into the mixture.
- Grease two baking pans and fill halfway until evenly distributed, as the baking soda will make it rise. No one wants to clean precious banana bread off the bottom of their oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (adjust to your oven) until the top is crusty and a toothpick or knife comes out of the middle clean. VERY IMPORTANT. IT MUST BE CLEAN.
- Let cool.
- Eat all of it before anyone else can.
Banana bread is like a full moon—it appears more often than you think, but you don’t always notice it. Coffee, however, is the complete opposite. It’s always there and always on your mind. It’s my first thought when I get into work and—it shouldn’t be, but is—my last thought right before I unwind for bed. Nothing like a cup of jittery pep to ease me into a nice REM sleep.
Typically, Internet recipes use this space to tell you how this bread changed our life, where we were when we first had it, and the ethereal feeling it instilled in everyone who tried it. We won’t put you through that, so here are just a few of the responses to Court’s Coffee-Infused Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread:
- “This is amazing.”
- *Eats five slices with no remorse*
- “It’s perfect.”
- *Loaf pan is empty in minutes*
- “The consistency is just right.”
Hardcore Fresh Roasted Coffee fan, Court Cizek, made a delicious loaf pan of Coffee-Infused Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread to put this heavenly sounding union to the test.
This banana bread is pleasantly dense with just the right amount of coffee flavor to make you say, "hey, that's coffee!" A fun twist on a classic, this quick bread will satiate your sweet tooth and leave you wanting more. We used a strong cup of Dark Chiapas , which is a little chocolatey and a little smokey, but if you wanted something lighter and brighter, Organic Ethiopian Yirgacheffe would add some fantastic citrus notes. The truly daring might try a mix of Italian Espresso and Organic Masala Chai Tea for a Dirty Chai Latte flavor.
Coffee is useful in many other places than just your mug. Court’s Coffee-Infused Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread is a prime example of that. Everyone’s first thought when they see browning bananas is, “I need to make banana bread.” It’s a universal truth. Add a little coffee and chocolate to your next banana bread. We promise you won’t be disappointed.
Have you tried this recipe? How did it turn out? What coffee did you use? Let us know what you think!
Adapted from The Rustic Foodie.